Last Updated MAY 2022
12 Step Hand Washing Guide
How much do you know about handwashing? These easy-to-follow 12-steps will teach you all you need to make sure your hands are clean.
12 Steps for Proper Hand Washing
Total time: 60 seconds
- Wet hands with water.
- Apply enough soap to cover all hand surfaces.
- Rub hands palm to palm.
- Right palm over left dorsum with interlaced fingers and vice versa.
- Palm to palm with fingers interlaced.
- Backs of fingers to opposing palms with fingers interlocked.
- Rotational rubbing of left thumb clasped in right palm and vice versa.
- Rotational rubbing, backwards and forwards with clasped fingers of right hand in left palm and vice versa.
- Rinse hands with water.
- Dry thoroughly with a single-use towel.
- Use towel to turn off faucet.
- Your hands are now safe.
- Clean your hands regularly
- Wash your hands with soap and water, then dry them thoroughly
- Use alcohol-based hand rub if you don’t have immediate access to soap and water.
Download Steps for Proper Hand Washing Guide (PDF)
Based on the ‘How to Handwash’, URL: http://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/How_To_HandWash_Poster.pdf © World Health Organization 2009. All rights reserved. ®/™ Trademarks of Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc. or its affiliates. Marques de commerce de Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc. ou de ses sociétés affiliées. © KCWW. T9DB4W-01 3/20